Readings and more

Here are some interesting readings that support our conversation in class. If there is anything of interest to you explore. I also gave some elementary sites in class so feel free to visit those sites. I just want to make sure you stay connected each week.

Blogs to Explore / Read

1. The Fischbowl: Karl Fisch
  2. Learning.Now : Andy Carvin
  3. Moving at the Speed of Creativity: Wes Fryer
  4. 2 Cents Worth: David Warlick
  5. Teach42.com by Steve Dembo
  6. The Tech Savvy Educator
  7. Weblogg-ed: Will Richardson 
  8. A Difference :Darren Kuropatwa
  9. TheThinkingStick: Jeff Utecht  
  10. Marc Prensky's Blog

About Blogs and RSS 

1. Blogs: Webs of Connected Learning

This article highlights the many ways that blogging can be used for educational purposes while also acknowledging the challenges of integrating this tool in the classroom.

2. To Blog or Not to Blog? You Decide

Read pages 28-33 as Wes Fryer outlines the pros and cons of blogging and provides some great examples and information for how to get started.

3. Blogs Growing Up (Will Richardson)
  4. Blogging? Writing? Feeling? (Will Richardson)
  5. RSS Quick Start Guide for Educators

In this guide, Will Richardson defines RSS feeds and walks you through the steps of creating an account using Bloglines. He then walks you through the process of subscribing to feeds and setting up feeds with student and classroom weblogs.

6. RSS Ideas for Educators

Read pages 4-14 to learn more about RSS feeds and discover different ways that you can use them.

7. Seven Things to Know about Social Bookmarking

This article briefly defines social bookmarks and the implications for teaching and learning with this technology.

8. Storing Bookmarks Online

In additional to explaining social bookmarking and providing links to some of the popular social bookmarking sites which you can explore

Wiki's

1. Think Outside the Blog

This article describes how Wikis differ from blogs and provides information about how you can get started using this tool in the classroom.

2. Wide Open Spaces: Wikis, Ready or Not

This article defines wikis and detail and addresses the pedagogical benefits and challenges of using them in the classroom.

3. Wiki definition in Wikipedia

This continually evolving definition of Wikis can provide you with a thorough history about how they came about as well as information about the various types of tools available for creating Wiki communities and how these different tools work.

4. Explore some of these examples of how wikis are currently being used for educational purposes.
  5. Holocaust Wiki Project

Following a WebQuest model, this project asks students to create a branching simulation about a family in the Holocaust. They have to come up with realistic decision points, describe the pros and cons, address the consequences of each decision, and create a narrative that reflects their research on the Holocaust.

6. Pay It Forward Wiki

This wiki is being created by students attending Arapahoe High School who are currently reading Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. They are using it to brainstorm project ideas and eventually propose a plan to give back to their community so that the world doesn't lose individualism and end up like the world described by Huxley in the book.

7. Thousand and One Flat World Tales Project

This project eplaces the "authentic" publishing of the 20th century classroom--hallways, newsletters, literary journals, etc--with authentic publishing in the

1001 Flat World Tales "blook": a potentially endliess series of stories from students around the world, inter-linked on individual student blogs.

8. Wikibooks

Wikibooks is a collection of open content textbooks, manuals, and other texts with supporting book-based texts that are written collaboratively. This site is a wiki, meaning that anyone, including you, can edit any book module right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikibooks module.

9. wikiHow

wikiHow is a collaborative writing project to build the world's largest how-to manual.

Emerging Technologies

Video in the Classroom

1. Video Goes to School: Part 1

This is the first of a three-part series on the use of video in education and describes how recent studies have shown that streaming video can increase motivation and boost student achievement.

2. Classroom Audio Podcasting

"This article provides an overview of the benefits of classroom podcasting and showcases several exemplary classroom podcasts teachers and students can use as models when creating their own."

5 thoughts on “Readings and more

1. Wow – the Darren Kuropatwa blog had some great ideas for math classes! I like the idea of creating an eportfolio for a student to be able to demonstrate what they’ve learned — that would be a great way to review for a final exam. I was interested in the level of math that the 8th grade teachers from Manitoba were demonstrating — most of our 8th graders are learning algebra, but these kids were adding fractions (Massachusetts kids learn that well before 8th grade). I wonder if you could really do math at the pace we do it in Massachusetts and also teach the kids wikis, blogs, etc.?

It was fun to hear a student say “I was excited to get to math class every day” — that’s what we need in math education. I also liked the concept that we need to get kids talking about math and using it in every day language. High school math becomes valuable to kids when they can apply it in real life, and it sounds like the blogs really encourage this.

Great stuff!

2. Will Richardson’s blog has a great discussion on helping our students “google well”. I googled several of my freshmen, and found our class wiki among the top “hits”. One of the comments mentioned teaching “how google works”, with topics like SEO, analytics, and semantic application. I want to look more into this so I can teach it better — I don’t know a lot about this, yet.

3. Thanks for the great links. The Tech Savy Educator talked about the spellingcity.com website which sounds great! I want to explore it further. It may be a great site to include as part of the weekly spelling assignments. The classroom audio podcasting was interesting too. I shared an article from the Westford Eagle with Mike on a school in town that created podcasts for the national parks as an assignment. The teachers sent the podcasts to the national parks and they now use them on their webite. The school’s next project is creating podcasts for the fifty states. The school got $10,000 from Best Buy and bought new ipod equipment. I told Mike we need to look for grants. There is definitely money out there; we just need to find it!